October 18, 2010

Mr. Stevens Opus / Album of the Week

A few posts ago, I reviewed Sufjan Stevens latest EP, All Delighted People.  If you recall, I didn't give it a stellar review.  It was very difficult to do, as I have much respect and love for Sufjan.  I was worried that when The Age of Adz was released, I would be disappointed. All in all, I was not overly impressed.  I listened to The Age of Adz for over a week, and couldn't find the inspiration I usually do from a Sufjan Stevens album.  However, throughout this week of analyzing his lyrics and new genre of music (sort-of), I neglected to listen to the last track on the album called "Impossible Soul."  I didn't avoid this song for any other reason than it is 25 minutes long.  I am not afraid of a nearly album length song, but I knew that it would need my total, undivided attention.  I had not been ready to give that attention until this past weekend.  This is where everything changed for me and The Age of Adz.  This song alone makes this album great.  Thus, bringing this album up from a middle-of-the-road album to Album of the Week.  As for "Impossible Soul," it may be Sufjan's best work.  His skill in combining all of his musical abilities, from folk, to electronic, to soul, to rock, to classical, all in one song is mind boggling.  If you have never heard of Sufjan Stevens before, and listen to this song, you will immediately understand why he is one of the greatest musical artists of the past decade.  Please enjoy "Impossible Soul," (if you can find the time) as well as The Age of Adz.
Go To Album Of The Week

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul by Tills

No comments:

Post a Comment