December 1, 2010

I'm Awake!

Not sure you would have ever put money on The Roots and John Legend covering an Arcade Fire track.  I mean, I wouldn't have.  Well, we would have lost.  If there were Cover Song Awards (The CSA's), this would have to be cover song of the year.  The Arcade Fire song, "Wake Up," is a future classic in my book.  It is an intense, emotional, sing-a-long.  Having one of my favorite groups cover one of my favorite songs, by another favorite group, is pretty mind blowing for me.  John Legend kills the emotion needed to sing this song and The Roots do what they do.  I don't have much more to say about it, except, you will like this.
John Legend & The Roots - Wake Up (Arcade Fire Cover) by TILLS

3 comments:

  1. the roots, john legend, and ....jone mitchell. awesome. note the current theme of her original lyrics of which this song samples:
    t's coming on Christmas
    They're cutting down trees
    They're putting up reindeer
    And singing songs of joy and peace
    Oh I wish I had a river
    I could skate away on
    But it don't snow here
    It stays pretty green
    I'm going to make a lot of money
    Then I'm going to quit this crazy scene
    I wish I had a river
    I could skate away on
    I wish I had a river so long
    I would teach my feet to fly
    Oh I wish I had a river
    I could skate away on
    I made my baby cry

    no where near hip hop, but the original is full of emo tion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this wasn't meant to appear here. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why didn't I know you liked the roots? probably wasn't paying attention... :)

    ReplyDelete