November 30, 2010

Under The Hood: An Interview with Hoodie Allen

Back in September, I blogged about Hoodie Allen and his most recent mix tape, Pep Rally (see "It's Hoodie, It's Hoodie").   I have sung his praises and recommended his music to anyone and everyone I could. I truly believe he has what it takes to be big time.  Recently, I had the greatest pleasure of interviewing Hoodie.

PhotobucketThe Idea Lingers Lately Still and Hoodie AllenPhotobucket
                                                                        11/28/10

TILLS:  You have such a unique, fresh take on life and rhyming. You capture the young twenty-something outlook perfectly.  So, what's your deal?  Parents in the music scene? Church choir participant?  Typical high school lifestyle (Degrassi) or were you already making moves musically (Glee)? 

HOODIE:  Well I appreciate that a lot man! My mom was a singer but outside of that, the desire to do music came completely from myself, I was writing songs when I was 10 years old in my Dad's apartment so it has always been something I naturally felt inclined to do. I've been doing all of this for a long time while going to school and being otherwise a normal kid so perhaps it's somewhere between Degrassi and Glee haha. 

TILLS:  How long have you known this is what you were going to do? 

HOODIE:  I've known since an early age that music was the thing that drove me more than anything else. I was a good student and enjoyed school and learning a lot, but to now have the opportunity to get my music in front of so many people has been incredible.

TILLS:  I'm not big on the Long Island hip-hop scene.  I've been there few times.  So, I'm picturing you getting started in the basement of some small mansion on a culdesac, with parents yelling down the stairs - LL cool J style, but less gangster.  How far off am I?

HOODIE:  Haha, that's kind of a stretch! Firstly, the history of great MC's coming from Long Island is abundant--from Chuck D to Busta Rhymes, De La Soul, EPMD, I can go on for a while. I am fortunate to have grown up in a cool environment like Long Island but it's really just normal suburbia, no Hamptons life for me, 

TILLS:  You master the pop-culture scene in your music.  What's your secret? Us magazine? TiVo?
HOODIE:  I love pop culture--I've always been fascinated with television and film and I've just committed a lot of things to memory that when I throw in a reference or two while rapping adds a little bit of who I am and my experiences into the music.

TILLS:  Has Hype Machine given you any kickbacks for all your free advertising? I Love hype machine by the way.  It must have felt incredible to show up on their "Popular" list that first time?

HOODIE:  It was surreal for sure. I absolutely set out with no intentions of how my record was going to be received. For it to have flourished on a site that I always visit as a listener is wild to me.  

TILLS:  Straight forward - Who are your hip-hop/rap influences?

HOODIE:  Andre 3000, A Tribe Called Quest, Black Thought, Reflection Eternal, Jay -Z 

TILLS:  Do you do your own beats?  You reference "RJ." Is he your DJ? 
HOODIE:  RJF is my boy, he is responsible for producing the songs on Pep Rally with me. He also is the DJ at the shows so if you come to a Hoodie concert, you are likely to meet him, 

TILLS:  You are an internet sensation.  So, what’s the plan from here on out?  Make millions of dollars and buy a piece of the Jets?

HOODIE:  Might take a little bit more than that to buy the Jets haha. My plan is to continue to make forward progress, make great music, get in front of fans and take everyday as an opportunity to get better. 

TILLS:  You clearly are having success.  Who do you thank for where you are right now?

HOODIE:  My fans, friends, and family for supporting and believing in me. RJF for being my partner in crime on the beats.  
___________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you Hoodie Allen for you time, honest answers, and your fantastic positivity. 

Remember, Pep Rally is still available at Hoodie Allen's Soundcloud page.  If you haven't heard it, I know I've posted it before, but for good measure, here is Pep Rally once again:

The Pep Rally Mixtape by HoodieAllen

No comments:

Post a Comment