September 27, 2010

A Not So Delighted Person

So, I will admit it. I have had a man crush on Sufjan Stevens. There was a time when I believed he could make anything sound good. With his new EP All Delighted People, I feel like that feeling is fading.  I wouldn't call his new EP bad, but I wouldn't compare it to his previous works.  I mean, in all honesty, Illinoise is probably in my top ten albums of all time.  So, my expectations for Sufjan are fairly high.  My disappointment in All Delighted People is that it is, well, boring.  It seems like Sufjan hasn't grown that much.  Sure he's done some different kind of work with his BQE project and some cameos on compilation albums, but this album just seems stale.  I am hoping that when a full length album finally comes out, which will be his first true full length album since Illinoise (discounting Avalanche), it will change my life just as Illinoise did.  So, here is the title track off All Delighted People, which I like and believe to be the best track there.  I have also included the alternate version which comes on the EP.  To compare to, also take a listen to the two versions of "Chicago." This what I want from Sufjan.  Enjoy.

Sufjan Stevens by Tills

No comments:

Post a Comment