September 20, 2010

Anything you can do, I can do, better

So, there is some irony in the title of this post in regards to the subject.  Last night I was lucky enough to experience a Broken Social Scene (BSS) concert at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT.  The irony here is that BSS is probably the most humble, crowd pleasing, love sharing band out there.  The thing is, they may also be the best live band out there.  I have seen my fair share of shows, and some good ones at that.  Last night's show has just taken the crown.  Best Show I Have Ever Seen.  For those of you who know me, and have seen shows with me, know that I will not throw this title around.  I feel confident enough to say that if you think you have seen a great show; you haven't.  If you think someone has more energy live; they don't.  If you think, as an audience member, you were involved; you weren't.  If you think a band loved performing for you and left everything on the stage; Nope.  So, yes, a message to bands out there:  Anything you can do, BSS can do it better; and did.  I witnessed this first hand last night.
This was one of those experiences where your favorite band played almost every song in their catalog, for nearly three hours, without a break, in a tiny-ass venue.  Could not ask for anything else.   A set list that included all the highlights from You Forgot it in People, Broken Social Scene, Forgiveness Rock Record, and even a way back track from Feel Good Lost. For the fans of BSS out there, think of a song you know and love, and they played it.  It was sort of a Best of BSS scenario.  They even took requests! Their ability to make all of their songs sound even more perfect than on an album is incredible.  Even off-the-cuff tracks, shouted out by audience members, were nailed. Some of the highlights were the opening song "7/4 Shoreline," "Hotel," "Texico Bitches," a Lisa Lobsinger lead "Anthems For a Seventeen Year-old Girl," an audience driven "Lover's Spit," "Superconnected," and a ten minute version of "Meet Me In The Basement" to end the show.
For those of you that don't know Broken Social Scene, you need to.  The crowd at the show was by no means a fandom. The over all exiting thoughts of those leaving the show were "Wow, I need to go back and listen to their other stuff." or "Who were those guys again? That was amazing." Literally, those are quotes I heard.
I have always loved this band, and have seen them live before, but I have a new found respect and admiration for what they do.  They knew why we were there, what we wanted to hear, and how to give it to us in the most selfless, energetic, and genuine way.

Here are a few videos from the show.  (These are the first videos I have taken from a show, so I apologize for some of the crackling in the sound quality. I hope to get better):

Sweetest Kill
Fire Eye'd Boy
Cause = Time

1 comment:

  1. Holy CRAP! THANK YOU for posting these amazing arguments for the position taken on your post...who was that ass talking to you the whole time?

    ReplyDelete